Monday, March 16, 2015

Inspired by an old Remington

Robert Messinger hosts a great blog called oz.Typewriter where he has recently chronicled his restoration of an old 1920's Remington machine.  You should visit his site to see how he has brought this old machine back from the grave.  You should also check out his many, many posts about typewriters.  Look at the picture of Robert amongst his collection.  Now that's a serious collector! I must say, Robert's post has me inspired to tackle the restoration of my very first typewriter, a Remington 12.  This Remington was the one that started it all of when my mother gave it to
me when I was five years old!  As you can see by this picture, I loved that machine.  I still have it but it is definitely showing its age and will need a total restoration.  I plan to write Richard to ask him to describe his restoration in more detail as I would love to find out how he made his old Remington look so fine.  One thought I am contemplating is to respray my machine black as I know I can get Remington decals to replace the ones I will lose.
 But I want to make sure I can find the advertizing emblem from this old Remington which states "To Save Time is
to Lengthen Life." I am not sure if old typewriters can save
time, but having them around makes life enjoyable!


No comments:

Post a Comment